7/16/2011

Stuffed Peppers

I decided to make stuffed peppers for my birthday eve dinner! This is the 1st time I ever made them. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked because I don't like meat, meat substitutes, or mushrooms. I also wanted a rice mixture so here is what I did...
I preheated the oven to 350. Then I washed, cut in half, and cleaned out 4 orange peppers. I placed them in a glass dish with a little tomato sauce in the bottom. Then I  cooked 1 cup white rice per instructions on the box. While the rice cooked,  I sauteed half an onion and a small  banana pepper in vegetable oil along with parsley and oregano. I mixed this in a bowl with the finished rice. Then I added a tbsp of minced garlic, a pinch of sea salt, dash of crushed mint, half a can of diced tomatoes (with juice), some tomato sauce to moisten the mix, shredded mozzarella cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese (the finished mixture is pictured above). I scooped the mixture into the8  pepper halves, then added more of both cheeses and sauce on top. I baked them at 350 for 50 minutes. They were DELICIOUS! I enjoyed making them and can't wait to do it again!